Pages

Thursday, January 31, 2019

1 February

Today's block is the same as my Stash Busters block, 2 larger HST units and 8 smaller HST units.  With these blocks getting more complex, I'm not sure I will always have time to make one every day, and may need to accumulate the patterns for a few days, then set aside some time to make more than one of them at once.   I did get today's done, and also finished my 52 Weeks 52 Blocks week 3 block. 

1 Feb
52 Weeks Week 3
Yesterday I spent most of the day getting my fabric prepped and ready to sew HST units to make my Stash Busters blocks.   My goal is to have a bunch of HST units completed, so that when I have a few minutes to sew, or just want to do some mindless sewing, I can pick up the units I need for these blocks, and just sew them together.  That way I don't have to think about cutting, or what size fabric I need to get the HST units I need... I can just sit and sew.

I also decided to go through my fat quarters to pull out more fabrics for the Stash Busters challenge. I want to use 72 different fabrics one for each block, and then use that same fabric in the second quilt where I mix up the darks and have a different one in each HST unit in the block.  As I was going through my fat quarters, I also pulled some that will work for another quilt top that should be a quick sew. The pattern is called Fat Quarter Fizz and you can find it as a free pattern from The Fat Quarter Shop.  You might want to check them out, they have quite a few patterns using pre-cuts.  I don't typically buy anything but Fat Quarters as pre-cuts but if you are into those, you might find some good patterns to use them up.

https://www.fatquartershop.com/free-quilt-patterns

Fizz uses 20 Fat Quarters, 10 dark and 10 light, and I had plenty to choose from.  I'm using all greens for my darks, and a tanish/beige/yellowish cast color for my lights.  If I'm careful when cutting out what I need for this quilt, I should have a piece of the Fat Quarter left that will be enough for 2 blocks for the Stash Busters challenge.  And that will use up most of the Fat Quarter, so not a lot of scraps created from them.  If I use the left overs from the Fizz quilt, I can put some of the other Fat Quarters I pulled for Stash Buster back into my boxes to use for another project later.  I  really don't need another quilt top to make right now, I have plenty on my list of want to makes.  But since this will be an easy one, and it will use up so many FQs, it is worth putting into the rotation to get some of my fabric used up instead of sitting in a box on my shelf.

Well, off to press and starch some Fat Quarters... I have a quilt top calling my name to get made...
Until next time... Happy Crafting!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment