Pages

Sunday, January 6, 2019

Stars for a New Day

Back in 2009 a website called The Quilt Show, released a Block of the Month project called Stars for a New Day. I remember making the feathered star for the center medallion at the time, but used fabric I wasn't thrilled with, and so didn't like the finished block. I enjoyed the process of making it, just not my fabrics. (If I can find that block, I will get a picture of it and add it, so you can see how bad my fabric choices were back then).

Over the years, I kept thinking about that quilt and really wanted to make it.  I just couldn't decide on a color scheme.  Last year, I decided I would use batiks for this quilt and started gathering fabrics to use.  I kept that fabric together in my craft room, so I wouldn't lose it in the black hole my craft room has become, but I couldn't seem to find the time to start working on it.  As the end of the year got closer, I kept getting that nagging feeling that I needed to start working on this quilt.  About the 2nd of January, I was headed to bed, but made a detour to my craft room, pulled out my fabric and started cutting what I needed for the first month's block.  I didn't cut all the pieces, just the amount I needed to get started off the yardage and kept it on my cutting table.  The next morning, when I woke up and got ready to start sewing for the day, I was able to start sub cutting my fabric into the sizes I needed, and start sewing.  5 days later I finished that feathered star.  I love how this turned out, it's going to be quite colorful, which is not my typical look.





It wasn't until a couple of days ago, that I realized that I started working on this 10 years after it was first released.  I didn't think any one else that is a member of The Quilt Show, is working on it at this time, although I have posted to the forum that I did start.  I think my post has inspired someone else to start working on theirs as someone responded that they are finally going to finish their quilt.  Maybe others will get inspired to start theirs, or pull it out of the UFO pile and get it finished.  It is the right time for me to be working on this project and I'm looking forward to seeing it all come together as I progress. 

If you want to get an idea of what the entire quilt looks like you can search Pinterest for "Stars for a New Day" and you will come up with all kinds of photos.  Or, check out TheQuiltShow.com, and look in the gallery for 2009 BOMs, there are all kinds of pictures from people making this quilt.  You do not need to be a member to see the photos.  However, you can become a member for free, and get access to most of the site.  IF you want to watch the shows that they offer, the membership is only $49.00 for a year, or if you prefer to pay monthly, $4.95 per month.  I believe they even have a one month trial, so you can check it out before you commit to a whole year.  I've been a member since they started all the way back in 2007 and while I haven't always watched all the shows, as a member I can go back and watch any show I like, so as my interests change, I can watch the shows that now interest me.  It's better than waiting for my local PBS station to play a quilting show, or searching the tv channels for quilting shows, and hoping that they talk about something I'm interested in.  And after having taped shows for 12 years, there are a lot of shows to choose from. 

Well, it's time to get back to work on my Wild and Goosey blocks for this week... only 65 more blocks to make to have enough for a quilt top, then I can start sewing them together in sets of 4 with sashing.

Until next time... Happy Crafting!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment