Pages

Wednesday, January 16, 2019

17 January

Today, I have two blocks to post.  I did make my block yesterday, however, right after I finished it we left to go out on a day trip and I didn't have time to post my block.  So here is yesterdays block.






16 Jan

Today's block was much more difficult, in trying to be precise.  There were a lot more seams and a lot more chances to be off in your sewing and pressing.  I ended up taking this one apart more than a few times, trying to be more precise.  And when I was working on a new challenge (will talk about that more later), I think I figured out the pressure on my presser foot was too high, and that was causing my fabric to not fit precisely.  When you are talking about small blocks, any little bit you are off, gets magnified, so it's important to maintain that precision throughout your process.  I've decided to try using my trusty Pfaff 2170 for tomorrows block to see if I have that same issue. I lessened the pressure on the Juki, and I can't adjust the pressure on the Pfaff, but my Pfaff has the IDT, and so I'm going to find out for myself, it that really does make a difference in my sewing.  If it does, my Juki may be use only when precision isn't necessary, but I need the piercing power to go through multiple layers.

17  Jan


I dug into my 1" squares for the 4 patches on this one, instead of sewing strips and sub cutting them into my units.  I'm sure that also played a roll in my precision.  But I want to use what is already cut, as much as possible, so I'm still going to the smallest size I can to find my pieces before moving up in size, and that includes going to my squares before my strips.

To try to use up even more scraps, I heard about another challenge, 52 Weeks, 52 Blocks.  This one you make one block a week, (some weeks might be doubled up if other weeks are skipped), and you end up with a lap sized quilt. These block will finish at 6" and I've decided to also make them in 3".  Partly to use up more fabric, and also, because I'm thinking that putting them in the border will be interesting, and it will also give me a little larger quilt than what the 52 blocks will give me.  If I decide not to put them in the border, then they can be put with any other 3" blocks I make and be used in a future project.  Either way, it will be USING more of my fabric instead of my fabric just sitting in a drawer or on my shelf.  Here are the two blocks I made for this week. 

52 Weeks Block 1
I've also heard about another challenge for scrap busting, where you make the same block every week, but use different fabric.  I'm still debating about that one, but the block looks like it will be a rather fun one to work on, so I might just add that one into the mix as well.  But that will be decided on a later date.  I still have all my UFOs and other projects that I have been wanting to work on, and if I'm always working on these new challenges, I won't get those done.  I might just save that block pattern and work on it at my own pace, instead of trying to do it as a challenge, as it would still be a great way to use up scraps.

Until next time... Happy Crafting!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment