Pages

Friday, January 4, 2019

A Simple 9 Patch

Today's 365 Challenge is a simple 9 patch block.  But don't let the simplicity fool you.  If  you aren't accurate in your cutting, sewing and pressing, you can make your block either too small or too large.
Jan 5

I'm using this challenge to hone my skills in all aspects of quilting.  I want to make sure I cut accurately.  I want to test my seam allowance, and make sure it isn't too big or too small.  And when I'm pressing my seams, I want to make sure I'm not stretching my fabric, or getting tucks in my seam lines.  When you are making small blocks, the accuracy is even more important than if you were making larger blocks.  If you are off, even 1/16" in a 3 inch block, and you have 12 3" blocks in your row, you could be off by as much as .75" when you get your row sewn together, and if your next row is accurate, they won't fit together like they should.  So even a small discrepancy can add up over the size of the quilt.

To help me with my accuracy, I have started using glue to hold my small pieces of fabric together.  I found a product called Acorn Easy Precision Piecing Starter Kit.  It includes what they are calling Seam Align Glue.  You use just the smallest of drops in your seam allowance, and put your two fabrics together, and it holds it while you stitch.  If you need to take it apart, the glue releases from the fabric easily, with out distorting your fabric, and will wash out once you are finished with your quilt.  So it isn't going to stay in there forever.  The next part of the kit is Easy Press Solution and an Easy Press Pen.  You put the solution in the pen, and then apply it to your seam, press and your seam will lay flat!! 

I'm looking for alternatives to these products, since they are hard to find locally, and they aren't exactly cheap.  I think I may have found another glue that works just as well, but is not the Elmers School glue (although I have used that for some things as well).  I will post about that another time.

But for now, it's time to get back to sewing.  I'm starting another project that has been on my mind for a number of years.  It's The Quilt Show's 2009 BOM, Stars for a New Day.  I have loved that quilt since they first released it, but didn't have the time to spend on it.  Last year, I started gathering fabric for it, and today I'm starting on the center feathered star.  I will share pictures as I progress.  I also have more work to do on my Wild and Goosey blocks so I can get that quilt top together.  Only 68 more blocks to have enough for the lap sized quilt I want to make. 

Until next time...  happy crafting!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment