Pages

Saturday, January 26, 2019

27 January

More HST units today.   I really never paid a lot of attention to HST before, but this challenge has me looking at them in a whole new way.  They are simple to make, and by just changing value and placement, you can get so many different looks.


27 Jan

I'm thinking I may need to make  a lot more HSTs, and figure out a few layouts using just those.  In fact, making these blocks reminds me of a quilt I saw at the Houston International Quilt Festival this past November.  It was nothing but HSTs, lights and darks, with all the same value facing the same direction.  No secondary pattern, just HSTs.  This quilt was made by Ewa Guerin in France and it was all hand pieced and quilted.  She states that it is a scrap quilt made from off cuts, and old fabric reproductions.  So even those smallest of scraps can be used to make a beautiful quilt. There was no size listed, but this was NOT a small quilt.  I don't remember the size of the HSTs, but this quilt is larger than the sizes I typically make, so it took a lot of HST units.
Add caption
I think a quilt like this would be perfect for all those orphan HST's that get made but don't end up in a quilt.  I have a long ways to go before I would even come close to having enough to make this, but I think it might be a perfect quilt to keep in mind as I'm cleaning up my scraps from other projects, and make a few HST's when ever possible to throw into a box until I have enough to start putting them together for a similar quilt top.

Until next time...Happy Crafting!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment