Pages

Monday, January 14, 2019

15 January

Today's block was a bit more challenging, only because using my scraps I wasn't as accurate in cutting back when I started keeping scraps as I am now. 


15 Jan

While not every quilt I make needs to be precise, I do enjoy the challenge of being precise when it is what is needed.
My center is dead on accurate, and that makes me happy.  However, my edges are a bit off, and while I can adjust for that when the blocks are sewn together, and I know that once the entire top is complete, no one is going to be able to pick out any one block that might be a bit off.  Since I am using this challenge not only to do at least a little sewing every day, but also to challenge myself to be more precise, I can work on my precision every day, instead of always having to "unstitch" and do something over.   I can critique my blocks, and figure out where I need to focus.  Is it my cutting? or do I need to adjust my seam allowance?  What about my pressing?  Even my thread choices make a difference, as the thickness of the thread DOES make a difference in how much fabric is folded over on itself, and the thicker the thread, the more fabric is folded. 

However, what is important, is what can be seen in the block, not what can not be seen in the seams.  As long as my seams are large enough, meaning they aren't just a few thread widths, then things will hold up.  If my seam isn't exactly 1/4" or even a scant 1/4", that isn't going to be the end of the world.   I remember something Ricky Timms has said for his Caveman style of quilting.  "The only reason seams are 1/4" is because it makes the math work".   It is much easier to calculate seams if it is an even number, like 1/4" rather than 3/16" or 5/32".   Not that those would be impossible, but it is much easier to add 1/2" to your size for seams, than to figure out what 10/32" equals when you need to cut fabric.  So as long as my seams are between 1/8" and 1/4" I think my quilts will hold up to use.



Here is the project I mentioned yesterday for our front door.


This is the first block in the book Imagine from Art to Heart.  I think that little carrot button for the snowman's nose is just too cute!!!

I want to try and get all the blocks done in a couple of months, instead of waiting until it's almost time to hang them up.  I didn't think I would like applique, but these have been really easy to do so far.  I do stitch the applique by machine, not hand.  Not sure I would get them finished if I had to do them all by hand.  :-)   All the backgrounds are just 3 maybe 4 fabrics, and it isn't as difficult to trace and cut the applique pieces as I thought it might be.  I think it is harder sometimes to find the right fabric than it is to actually cut it out for the block.  :-) 

Time to get busy and sew... until next time.. Happy Crafting!!

No comments:

Post a Comment