Pages

Saturday, January 19, 2019

20 January

Yesterday, I did get my block made for 365 Challenge, however,  I didn't have time to post it, because I had to get ready for my Rulerworks class.  I was out of the house most of the day, and so that was the only sewing I got done.   It was an easy one, just a Half Square Triangle, so only one seam... and that was just what I needed for such a busy day yesterday.  The instructions had us cutting a rather large square, then making two HST (Half Square Triangles) and trimming it down to size.  We are saving one for one of the blocks in February.  While I like having plenty of wiggle room, in case I make a mistake, I really don't like having so much waste, even from my scrap fabric.   But since I was strapped for time yesterday, I didn't take the time to recalculate the smallest size square I could have easily used for my triangles. But, it's done... and I was able to get out of the house on time to make it to my class.  Today, I'm wondering if we made it so large, because we need a larger one for February, and if that is the case, then maybe there wasn't so much waste after all.

19 Jan
Today's block is using HST again, only this time they were smaller.  I didn't have nearly as much to trim after I made these, and I needed both of them from the square for this block.   I am either getting better at my precision, or I got lucky today.  I only had to unsew one seam, and that was because my fabric shifted the tiniest bit under my presser foot, and was just a tad off of the measurement.  But otherwise, every thing lined up perfectly, and my block measures an exact 3.5"!!!
20 Jan
Did I tell you, I decided to work on yet another challenge??  This will be number 4 for this year.  This one consists of only one block, but making at least one every week.  I decided to do this one, because the pattern is very close to a scrap quilt I had seen that I wanted to make, so this will work for that!!   I kept thinking with all these challenges I'm working on this year I will finally start using up lots of my stash and scraps and can make room for new fabric!!  YEAH!!   Then I started doing some math, and came to realize that making the quilt for this last challenge was only going to use about 4.5 yard for the top, and perhaps 10 yards total if I get the quilt completely finished, with border, backing and binding.  While that might seem like a lot of fabric and it would be, if I were going out to purchase it, that will barely make a  small dent in my fabric stash.  :-/  I guess that is telling me I should stop buying fabric and start using what I already have!!!  I do have a number of tops planned, that are just waiting for their time at the cutting table to start cutting up fabric for another quilt. So hopefully working on those will keep me out of the stores and at my machine!!   As soon as I get a few blocks done of this new challenge I will share them with you, and if you are interested in joining me in this challenge let me know in the comments, and I will get the link shared.

Until next time... Happy Crafting!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment