Pages

Tuesday, June 6, 2023

The end is near...

Yesterday I unpacked the last 3 boxes that were in shed 2.  I still have to find homes for most of the stuff that was in them, but at least I know what was in them.  I have 3 boxes left in shed 2, that are the small size for books.  All my empty boxes got piled around them, so until we can get rid of the empties, they will have to wait.  I'm not in any rush to get to the books, I still have some room on my bookshelves, and I plan on culling out any books or magazines that I no longer want or need.  There is no reason to keep them if I'm not going to refer to them for anything. 

The 3 small boxes in my studio were opened, one was books, so they were added to my shelf. One had more Accuquilt dies in it, so those got put with the others, and the 3rd one, is files that need to come into the house and into my filing cabinet.  So the end of unpacking boxes is near. 

I also cleaned up a plastic drawer unit on wheels. I had to find a missing wheel, but there was one in my pile of "wheels" that I have been keeping until I found where they go.  Besides taking it outside to wash all the dirt off it, I took my Johnson's Paste Wax, and put it on all the black plastic parts.  It looks almost new now.  I hope that will help keep the dust and dirt to a minimum as I will never be able to stop the dirt from getting into my studio.
I think it will find a home under the wing of my cutting table.  If I have to put the wing down for some reason, it will be easy enough to roll it out of the way.  I'm not sure what I will store in there, I'm leaning toward scraps, as it would be handy to just toss them in there, and pull the scraps out as I want to use them.   The one on the left was put there a week ago, and what I have put in the drawers may change, but with both of them under the cutting table, I think they will work for storing and sorting my smaller scraps.  And there is room on top of them to put some project boxes for those I want to be working on, as they are close to my machine. 

 

The unit on the left is missing a drawer, and so far, I haven't been able to locate it.  Even with out one drawer, it is still useful, so if I can't find it, there is no reason to get rid of it if it works for me.  The decorative box on top of the left unit is scraps I need to cut down, and the project box is all the Garlic Knot blocks I have been working on.  I still need more of those blocks to make the 4 quilts out of them, and I need to wait until I get my design wall up to lay them out.  Once I find all the squares I have been using for those blocks, I will start making more of them.  I'm still looking for my dark squares, and I'm sure they are somewhere in this mess.


This next little drawer unit is under the pressing station that is part of my cabinet.  It is also on wheels and can be moved out of the way, if I need to put that back under the cabinet.  I am keeping 3 different projects that I'm sewing on currently, one in each of the drawers.  So all the pieces I need to make the blocks, and the completed blocks will live in those drawers, until the top is complete or there isn't enough room for them all.  Once one of these projects is complete, it will be replaced with the next quilt on my list. If I only have a few minutes to spend in my studio, I will have 3 projects with all the parts needed, so I won't have to search for something to work on. 

I was going to get rid of this unit, as the drawers never stayed in the runners, and were always falling down.  But I decided to give it another chance, and so far it's behaving itself.  I think I was storing stuff that was too heavy in it before the move, and that is what caused the drawers to come out.  I really don't like the units with the runners, and prefer ones that the drawers sit on runners underneath (like the ones under my cutting table), not a lip in the drawer on the top.


There is another drawer unit that you might have noticed behind my pressing station with the purple drawers, it also has the runners that a lip on the top of the drawer fit in, and I may end up getting rid of it.  Even with not much of anything in those drawers, they don't want to stay in the runners. I want things that work in my space, not things I have to fight with to get them to work right.  But I will give it some thought and see if there is something I can store in those drawers that won't be too heavy for them to work properly.  If not, it will be donated to a charity shop when we head into town.

Well it's time to get over to my studio and get some more organizing done for the day.
Hopefully I can also sneak some sewing in, and get some pictures of the blocks I have been working on when I do sew.

Until next time... Happy Crafting!!

No comments:

Post a Comment