Pages

Friday, June 23, 2023

Quick little scrap project

Today I saw a post about making a thread catcher.  Something to keep near you when doing any sewing, but it comes in especially handy when doing hand sewing.  It gives you a place to put all your cut threads so they don't end up on the floor or all over your clothes.  The tutorial along with a video is on All People Quilt and I made two of them with scrap batting and scrap fabric.

Here is a link to the tutorial.

Thread Catcher

 And here are the two I made.  I "roughly" followed the sizes they used, but you can make them any size you might want or the size of your scrap batting.  I left the cardstock out of the second one, as I wanted it more flexible for travel and didn't want to have to bend the cardstock.  I don't know if it will matter either way, but wanted to try it both ways.  I used scrap batting and fabric for both.

This one I used card stock.



This one I just used batting and fabric.



I could have used one of these when we were on our trip and I was working on my hexagons.  I didn't have a place to put my cut threads, and so I just put them on the table, and cleaned them up later.  But a little square like this would have made it so much easier to keep them under control, and not get on the floor or on our clothes.  Now I have one to put into my hexi bag.   

The second one is going by my machine, so that when I have cut threads, instead of them ending up on the floor, because they just don't quite make it to the trash can, I won't have to worry about thread getting wrapped around the wheels of my chair, or around the head of the vacuum cleaner.

As easy as they are to make, if I find other places where I could use one, I can make them as needed, instead of taking them from one spot to use in another spot.

I hope you give this quick project a try, and if you do, share it with me, so I can see your thread catchers.

Until next time... Happy Crafting!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment