Pages

Sunday, June 11, 2023

One small step...

 When ever I'm in my studio looking at getting everything organized, there is a Chinese proverb that keeps coming to my mind...

    "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

With that in mind, I know that if I can find a "forever home" for just one item a day, that is one item that I no longer have to deal with, and one step closer to my "journey" of getting my studio organized.  

Now, I usually can find a home for more than one item a day, as once I get started, it is easy to keep going.  However, there are days I don't want to work on organizing, and just want to sew.  So on those days, I will still find a "forever home" for something, then will do some sewing.  I know the more I work on getting things organized, the sooner I will get it done, and the sooner I can just go out to my studio and sew.  But sometimes, you need to take a break from organizing, and just have fun.

Even if I'm not finding "forever homes" for things, working on organizing my scraps, or fabric is still working on getting my studio organized.  So when I do spend the day organizing scraps, it might not look like I did much, if you look at all the stuff in my studio.  But getting my fabrics organized is part of the organizing I want to accomplish, so some days, I will work on scraps, and other days I will find a place to keep things.  In the end, the journey will get further along.  I'm not sure my organizing "journey" will ever be completely finished, as there will always be some tweaking or putting things away, that will need to be done with each new project I start.

Yesterday, I did get a lot more things organized, and in the afternoon, I spent the day getting some blocks for an old Leader & Ender project together to be sewn.  I found the blocks that I have already made, and the parts I have been using to make the blocks. I still need a lot more blocks to make the 4 quilts I have in mind.  I inherited some squares from my Mom when she downsized before she passed, and I'm using those to make Garlic Knot blocks from Bonnie Hunters Addicted to Scraps column.  The fabrics aren't the best quality for quilting, and I'm trying to use up as many of the squares as I can, with out supplementing with my own fabric.  But it's getting harder to find enough squares to get all the blocks I need made, with out using the really thin fabrics.

Here is the container I use to hold blocks ready to be sewn as Leaders & Enders.  As this container gets emptied, I will make more blocks, until I have all that I need for the 4 quilts. You can see the container of squares I have to pull from in the back. 


Once I get to where I can sew every day, this will get emptied quickly.  I have had to trim down some squares that weren't quite 2", so I make them 1.75" and am making 2 quilts with 6" blocks and 2 quilts with 5" blocks.  I may play around with the settings, and find a way to use fewer blocks and still get a good sized quilt.   I have 145 6" blocks made, with 19 more in my container to be sewn.  That should be all I need for the 2 quilts with 6" blocks.  The 5" blocks I have 62 blocks made, with 13 ready to sew.  I need 122 - 144 more depending on how I do the layouts, before I have enough of that size for the 2 quilts.  I will see how many blocks I can get made before I decide on which layouts I want to use for the 5" blocks.

With these blocks ready to be sewn, it's good motivation to get more organizing done, so I can spend more time sewing... so with that... I'm off to my studio to get something accomplished for the day.

Until next time... Happy Crafting!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment