Pages

Wednesday, June 7, 2023

Did a little sewing

Yesterday, I decide to take a break from organizing and did some sewing.
I may have mentioned I'm not a fast sewer.  I like to enjoy the process, and I don't like to be rushed. I don't make quilts for specific people or reasons, they are being made because I liked the block, or I wanted a challenge, or it was something to make to use up some of that fabric I have.

While I was still unpacking all my boxes, I hadn't found all my projects that were in progress before we left Colorado Springs, but I wanted to do some sewing once I got my cabinet and machine set up.  So I found a block I wanted to make, with what I had already unpacked, and decided on a block called Square Pegs.  It is from Bonnie Hunter's Addicted To Scraps column in the July August 2022 issue of Quiltmaker Magazine.
I had found my 1.5" and 2" squares, and pulled them out and started sewing them together.  I spotted the grey Grunge fabric and thought it would be perfect for the small sashing in the block and cut some of that.  Here are the first two blocks I have sewn together.  They will finish at 6".

 





I do have more parts sewn together, but they aren't blocks yet.

I'm not a big fan of sew alongs, or BOM (Blocks of the Month) type programs. I usually like to do my own thing, and at my own pace, and if I don't keep up with the group, I feel like I shouldn't be part of the group.  However, one of my groups for Accuquilt started a sew along that I thought might be fun to do.  It is actually something I have considered doing since I started using my Accuquilt, and that is to make one of every block in the 3 PDF files of 72 Blocks, that can be made with the Mix and Match Qube, and the Companion Sets, of Corners and Angles.  There are a total of 216 block (72 x 3 = 216).  Yesterday I picked out some scraps and cut the pieces for my first block.  I decided to start with the PDF for Corners, as I haven't used those shapes much at all.  There are 4 shapes in the set, and along with the 8 shapes in the Mix and Match set, you could probably make more than 72 different blocks.  I thought about picking a block that looked interesting, but then thought, if I am going to make one of each pattern, it will be easier to keep track of them, if I make them in order in the PDF file.  I can just look at the last one I made, and find it in the PDF and know the next one is the one I need to make. 
The "rules" for the sew along are easy... just make one of each block.  You can do them in any order, make as many or as few quilts from them as you want, use any layout you want for your blocks, and pick any size Qube you want to use.  The size of the Qube will determine the size of your quilts.  I choose the 4" qube, as I like working with small pieces, and I can use up some of my smaller scraps.  I also have the 6", 8", 9" and 12" Qubes or the equivalent sized dies for them.  (I didn't buy the 12" Qubes, because some of the same size shapes are in my 6" qube, and bought the individual dies of the shapes I didn't have).
I did the same with the 4" Qube, I had most of the shapes in the sizes needed, and just bought the ones I didn't have a die for already.
Here is a picture of the first block I made.  It's called Anvil from the Corners PDF.  This finishes at 4".
 
Once I get my studio more organized, I plan to make more than one a day,as I have time, but it will depend on what other projects I have going on, and how much time I want to spend on this one. 

Until next time... Happy Crafting!!!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment