Pages

Monday, May 29, 2023

Making progress

 I have been making a lot of progress on refolding my fabrics.  I got all 3 of the shelves in one bookcase folded and stacked.

There was a box in Shed 2, that had fabric in it.  I thought it was all fabric, but when I went to get some of it out to fold and add to shelf 3, I found out it was only "filler" for the box.  There were only 28 pieces of fabric in there, so I got those folded and added to the bottom shelf.
I know there is more fabric hiding somewhere, because I haven't found some fabric I had purchased for a couple of embroidered quilts I want to make.  I have more boxes to unpack in Shed 2, so I'm sure I will find it, just have to get those boxes open and see what is in them.

This is the other bookcase full of fabric I need to work on.
On Saturday, I started on the solids on shelf 3 of this one, I didn't take a picture of it yet, I wanted to wait until I got the rest of my solids folded. 

I hadn't planned on doing all the refolding at once, but as I got going on it, I thought it would be a good idea to do it all, so when I find more fabric, I will have a place to put it, rather than just piling it up on a chair or the floor.

While I have the fabric on my table to refold it, I have been measuring it.  A group of quilters were doing this last year, to find out how much they had in their stash, and to keep track of what comes in and what goes out.  I thought it would be fun to keep track of mine, so decided that since I needed to refold all my fabric anyway, might as well measure it.
In the first bookcase I got finished, I have 379.5 yards of fabric.  The solids I have folded so far total 54 yards.   It will be interesting to see how much I have, once I find it all, and then see if I can have more going out than coming in. 

Once I get all my boxes unpacked, and most of my stuff organized, I will be setting goals for how much I want to use from my stash by getting quilt tops or bags made.  I have been collecting ideas for some quilt blocks that I want to make, and making a list of what I need to cut in order to sew them.  When I start to organize my scraps, I should have a number of blocks/quilts I can start cutting for, so that I can start to get some of that out of my stash.  The sooner I get my yardage folded, and the boxes in shed 2 unpacked, the sooner I can start organizing my scraps and get back to sewing.

No comments:

Post a Comment