Pages

Saturday, June 25, 2022

Dreaming of quilts to make...

While waiting for my Studio to get finished, I keep thinking of what projects I want to work on once I can start sewing again.  I have recently purchased some Bonnie  Hunter books and there are some great patterns in them.  I have more than a few that I want to start working on, to use up my scraps.  However, I have projects that were started before the move that I want to get back to work on, so starting something new may have to wait. 

I enjoy the planning stages of quilts, thinking about what pattern I want to make, which of my fabrics I want to use, do I have enough variety of this or that color to make the quilt sparkle, or do I need to supplement my stash?  Then when I have settled on a pattern and color scheme, I start going through my scraps and Fat Quarters and yardage to pull what I think will look good together.  Then comes the cutting. 

I bought an Accuquilt Go! a couple of years ago, and that helps get fabric cut much more quickly than a rotary cutter and ruler.  As long as I have a die to cut the required sizes and shapes I need, I can get a quilt cut out in no time.  In fact the first quilt I cut using my Accuquilt was this one.  The pattern came with one of my Qube purchases, it uses 4 of the 8 dies in the Qube. The fabric was left over from a Hoop Sisters quilt I made and I got all the pieces cut in less than an hour.  It took much longer to sew them together than it did to cut them.  I still need to finish the quilt... I love the piecing, not so much the finishing parts of making a quilt.

I tried finding a picture of the Hoop Sisters quilt, and don't have one that really shows it off.  So I will see if I can get a better picture of it and post it later.

My studio is coming along, the lights and electrical outlets have been installed, and all the drywall is up, and we are waiting for our electrician to come back out and run wire from the studio to a shed we are going to put up for more storage space.






The ceiling is going to remain unfinished, mostly because it's would be too difficult for one person to try to get drywall up there, and we don't want a drop ceiling. Plus, the middle area needs to remain open to allow access to the area we are going to use for storage in the rafters.

We are hopeful that he can finish the work in 2 to 3 weeks, and I can start unpacking and get back to sewing soon.

Until next time... Happy Crafting



 


No comments:

Post a Comment