Pages

Saturday, April 20, 2013

Some Crafty Fun this weekend...

This weekend a friend of mine wanted to have a virtual crafting party, and have people craft something that they had pinned on Pinterest, or found from another online source for inspiration.  I happened to have the weekend off, and was excited to be able to have time to join in on the fun.  I made the little Tea box from SVGCuts, Tea For You and Me set.  I got the box together, and thought it was cute, but it needed something else... but I have the hardest time trying to decide how to embellish things. But here is a picture of my box after putting it all together.  I love the files from SVGCuts, they are so easy to cut and put together.. even I can look like I know what I'm doing with them.

This morning I decided that I needed to find something else to add to it, so I decided on some of the Crochet trim from the Battenburg Lace and Crochet trim set and sized it to fit around the box.  Then I got the flowers and leaves from the Spring Birdhouses kit and added them to one side.  It always amazes me how just adding a little bit of detail can make something go from okay to looking more finished. 


I'm not sure what I'm going to use this box for, since I don't drink tea... LOL  but it was a lot of fun to make and it gave me the opportunity to figure out how to finish it off and add more detail.  

After I finished my tea box, I wanted to make another box inspired by The Gentleman Crafter.  I have always admired his boxes, and when I learned how he put them together using structure strips, it just floored me.  I am the type of person that needs step by step instructions the first time I do anything, and I can not for the life of me look at something and figure out how someone made it.. so finding tutorials on the web on how to do some of the awesome things I see,  is a lifesaver for me.  However, once I figure it out, then I can start adding my own twist, but the first one is always a "lets see how it all goes together even if it isn't pretty" type of project.  So I got out my kraft cardstock and made some structure strips.. those were easy enough to make, but if I had to come up with the idea, they wouldn't be around.  I then cut some flimsy chipboard, because that is all I had around, and since this was just to see how to put it all together, I didn't care.  I am going to have to go watch some more of The Gentleman Crafters videos and pay more attention to the details of how he puts his boxes together, because mine leaves a lot to be desired.  
Then I added some decorative paper, that  I bought back when I first started doing paper crafts, and now look at it and wonder what possessed me to pay money for it (yes it's pretty, but the colors are so NOT me).  I need to figure out a way to make the corners and the top edge more finished, and I'm sure if I pay closer attention to The Gentleman Crafters videos, he will give me all kinds of ideas on how to have a more finished looking edge... but for a first time, just wanting to get it done project, it didn't turn out too badly.  Of course, I still need to add some embellishments to it to make it look better, but until I figure out what I want to do with the corners, I don't want to add anything else too it... so as sad as it looks, here is my box.... please, don't laugh too hard.


Thanks for stopping by and I hope you have a chance to do some crafting this weekend.... and enjoy the journey!!!


1 comment:

  1. Awesome projects, Diane! Glad your having fun with the "Pinterest Party"!

    ReplyDelete